Opening Day on Spring Creek Pennsylvania – Part I

I had a great “official” Opening Day on Saturday April 14, on Spring Creek in central Pennsylvania with some of my friends. I just downloaded 82 photos from the day into my computer. But having arisen this morning at 5:05 AM for the local Fisherman’s Breakfast, the 2 hour-round trip driving and a full day of fishing, the main post on the day will have to wait until tomorrow, because to tell ya’ the truth, I’m kinda beat. But I did want to post this one photo of another angler we saw today; he (or she) didn’t seem too bothered by the presence of a few less talented anglers such as ourselves. This guy obvious fishes for a living.

We had the awesome privilege of watching this osprey dive, splash, clutch, and fly off with a large sucker barely fifty yards from where we watched. Another time he flew by less that thirty feet above the stream with yet another catch. I still caught more fish than he did ;-). You don’t realize how large these majestic birds are until you see one up close.

About these ads

8 comments on “Opening Day on Spring Creek Pennsylvania – Part I

1. Spring Creek is one of my favorite places because the trout are usually looking up and there are so many birds to watch there. Looking forward to your follow-up post.

Thank you Jeff, for the comment. I am glad you like it, and on Spring Creek…yes to the birds…birding is another sideline hobby of mine. It’s the first and only place I’ve ever seen a black-billed cuckoo, and there are always Northern (Baltimore) orioles there…in the early summer evenings when the sulphurs are on I love to hear the towhee in the bushes. There is also a nesting pair of bald eagles at Fisherman’s Paradise, this is their second year. Thanks for your comment!

2. John Larsen says:

Ospreys are truly majestic birds. It is nice to see the comeback all the raptors have made. I drive by a nesting pair each day on the way to work and have seen a Bald Eagle soaring over the Providence River, an urban area. A major appeal of fishing is the little surprises that crop up while fishing. It never gets old.

Hi John;
      Thanks for your comment, very nice to hear from you!
      You’re right about the raptor comeback. My highlight on that was a couple years ago at the Safe Harbor Dam on the lower Susquehanna River. I was there looking for birds of all sorts, eagles are naturally the most desired. I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see all at once, two mature bald eagles and two golden eagles together within the field-of-view of my binoculars all at the same time! They were very high, just soaring and circling the air currents…and there was no mistake because of the positive ID on the bald eagles, the golden eagles clearly had the larger wingspan.
      In the 1990’s I also participated in the local Audubon peregrine falcon hacking project on the 10-stort high Genetti Hotel in Williamsport, PA. Banded birds hacked from that project were later found nesting in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and also Toronto, Canada. It has been successful to see the raptor recovery. Thankfully INJEN was unsuccessful (and fictional), I wouldn’t want to have to keep an eye out for Velociraptors while fly fishing… ;-)

3. Bruce says:

What a pretty bird. Hope you had a good first day.
    Bruce

Thanks Bruce! The only thing about this image was my timing. Had I been standing there ready, with my camera when the bird made its successful dive, I could have gotten some incredible photos…or video…he launched his attack from what is most likely a regular “hunting perch.” It was so cool to see him there, watching, watching, watching…
      I’ll try to get back there and set up the tripod…that alone would be worth the day! Thanks for your comment, appreciate it! If ever you want to arrange to meet there and fish Spring a little, let me know. :-)

4. emblock says:

Out fishing an osprey is no easy task! They’re such amazing creatures….one of my favorites to watch out on the water.

Hi Erin;
      I like your observation…! I was kidding about that…I’m probably pretty close to the mark in saying an osprey doesn’t fish for enjoyment…so one bird wouldn’t likely need to consume more than 25 fish in a day, unless they were of the size that a kingfisher usually eats…I’m pretty sure I out-fished that bird for that day, but since he fishes every day…I lose in the long run. And that’s where it really counts. ;-) We also saw him strike and come up empty-handed. They are majestic birds and very impressive to watch.
      Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it!