Wet Fly Double Quartet

These wet flies, a “double quartet” to use music terminology, are the other patterns that went to Colorado along with those Carson Lake Specials I recently posted. The patterns are:

Bouncer, Cardinal, Kineo, and Silver Doctor – featuring a “deuce” or “double shot” of each.

They are dressed on vintage Mustad 3906 size #4’s.

Bouncer Wet Fly Pattern, Mustad vintage hook 3906 - #4 - tied by Don Bastian

Cardinal Wet Fly Pattern, Mustad vintage hook 3906 - #4, tied by Don Bastian

Note: on the Cardinal wet fly pattern, it dates from the 1800’s and no one (legally) uses “cardinal” on the wing anymore, and the dressing can be (to me) either red or claret, I’m kind of partial to the claret.

Kineo Wet Fly Pattern - Mustad vintage hook 3906 - #4 - tied by Don Bastian

Silver Doctor Wet Fly Pattern - Mustad vintage hook - 3906 - #4 - tied by Don Bastian

The version of the Silver Doctor, some of you know it is my own variation. The use of duck or goose wing quill sections in the wing was inspired by commercially-tied Silver Doctors I saw a number of years ago in The Maine Guide Fly Shop in Greenville, Maine near Moosehead Lake.

The “Doctor” was a challenge because of usually using goose shoulder in the wing; that wasn’t the hard part, but finding nice teal flank always took time. When I saw the simple quill wing versions of this pattern in the fly shop, with only yellow and blue duck quill in the wing, it gave me the idea to substitute materials. I merely used brown goose for the turkey and guinea fowl for the teal. These wings are far easier to assemble that versions using flank feathers, and they are durable. This is the version of the Silver Doctor, adapted from Trout by Ray Bergman, that I demonstrate in my DVD, Advanced Classic Wet Flies, 2007, Bennett-Watt Entertainment.

20 comments on “Wet Fly Double Quartet

1. Dan Glover says:

Don,
    Those pairs are great. Love the colors.

Dan

2. I love all of them but there is something about the Bouncer and Cardinal I really like a lot. Excellent job as always.

Don, I love them all. That Silver Doctor though wins the prize for me! (great variation)

4. John Hoffmann says:

Hi Don,
    Are those Mustad 3906 hooks more of a silver, stainless steel colour?
    When you tie presentation flies with a chenille body, do you steam the chenille prior to tying in to “fluff” it up?
    Thanks, John

• Hi John, thanks for your comment’ These hooks are the old vintage Mustad, anything different in the look or finish is probably the lighting. I never use flash but play with natural light and shutter speeds.
      I never heard of steaming chenille, feathers yes, but not chenille. So no would be your answer. And that is the small size, smaller than medium, the normal Woolly Bugger size…

5. 55 dougie says:

Don, I should have commented long before now… I really enjoy seeing all of your flies and learning the tying methods used and some background history of each featured fly.

Thanks for taking the time to share them with us…

6. Doug Swesty says:

Beautiful job on all of these!

I have one question: Are the Kineos in the picture the claret version? I have always thought of claret as a darker red. I see lots of different shades of red described as claret (Whitings claret saddle hackles and their claret schlapen are very different colors!). The Wikipedia entry for clarest states “Claret derives from the French clairet, a now uncommon dark rosé”. To me this would be something akin to a burgundy color. Do you have any thoughts on what color claret really is? Perhaps it is all in the eye of the beholder! I have a similar quandry for red vs. crimson.
    This is a timely topic for me as I spent much of last week tinkering with RIT dyes and cool-aid to dye some white schlappen to a claret (at least what I have been calling claret!) so that I could tie some Tycoon’s. I tried to match the color to the what is depicted in the Tycoon in Forgotten Flies. The Whiting claret schlappen I had was way too dark in my opinion. But this probably means I am being way too fussy!

• Hi Doug;
      These Kineos are the only version I know of (until I discovered a totally different “Kineo” in the Museum in Vermont. Another time…) and they are red. Red with digital photography is another matter, the colors always get weird. My setting was on “vivid” for those shots.
      The claret hackle / schlappen I have was bought at Stone River Outfitters – formerly Hunter’s Angling in NH. Not sure they’re still in business.
      Red vs. crimson – red is more the same as scarlet, which is more of an orange, bright red. Crimson is a deep dark red.
      Claret is called for in recipes as being claret, loght claret, or dark claret. I try to go accordingly to what I have, that color from different sources will always vary, keep you eyes open when you travel around any buy any color of claret you can find.
      It’s various shades of maroon / burgundy / wine in medium to dark. Thanks for your comment and reply!

7. Dan Glover says:

Doug I have the same issues with colors, especially claret,and scarlet and red.

8. Mike says:

Superb, Don. Absolutely love those Kineos.

9. Ira says:

I have to say publicly that Don did an incredible job with these flies and I’m very proud to have them mounted on my wall!

10. axel klenz says:

Tying flies including traditional classics is a favorite pastime with me, and I have tied a fair number of them, however, when I look at creations like the BOUNCER, THE CARDINAL and the KINEO displayed on this site I realize what a complete dilletante I am in the flytying skills department. I don’t doubt that these superb creations will catch lots of fish if presented right but I would say though an analogy to actually using them would be like going deer hunting wearing a tuxedo in western Canada or in the Maine backwoods for that matter.
    The craftsmanship evident in the Bastian units on display here is certainly something to work towards acquiring.
    Thanks, A. K.

• Thank you very much for your comment Axel; I appreciate it very much! Your remark made me laugh, but nevertheless I do tie these flies pretty much the same way for fishing, with perhaps a bent to not being quite as particular about high-grading the quills.
      Thanks again!

11. axel klenz says:

Hello Don!
    Being totally overwhelmed by those super wet fly creations on your site I forgot to ask where one can obtain the seemingly flawless wing material you employ. even the unmarried stuff looks fantastic to me. In western Canadian retail outlets there may occasionally be feathers of that quality available I, however, haven’t seen any of it. Any pointers?
    Thanks, A.K.

• Hi AK;
      Thanks for your kind words of enjoyment for my tying!
      I have historically been able to get good quills at E. Hille – The Angler’s Supply House, in Williamsport, PA. They are no longer in business.
      I have a wholesale account from a fly tying dealer, and buy pairs of duck quills in large quantities, and sort and grade them…sometimes the feathers are really nice, and other times not so much. It’s typical of packaged stuff. Nature’s Spirit sells both duck and goose wing quills – find a source for them and you’ll be OK. Their quality is pretty nice, not necessarily all top grade, but better than most other quills you’ll find.
      If order by mail, order 1-1/2 to 2 times the amount you’ll actually need; expect to get some quills or sections that are good only for fishing flies…some ratty quills still have sections that will yield exhibition-grade flies.
      I always look at quills whenever I’m in a shop; Wapsi goose quills can be nice, they are often not real large, but bigger than the puny duck quills you sometimes find…and are good only for size #8 hooks and smaller…
      Keep looking, wherever you go…Fishing Creek Angler in PA has a good selection of Wapsi Duck & Goose quills; their link is on the right-hand sidebar.
      Thanks again! Cheers!