The Mayfly Club – Annual Fly Tying Extravaganza

The Mayfly Club is holding their Annual Fly Tying Extravaganza on Saturday June 9th, at The Riverside Cafe` in Horton, New York. The Riverside Cafe` is located at Exit 92 off NY RT. 17, just ten  minutes from Roscoe. Hours are 10 AM until 3 PM. Admission is FREE!

There will be raffles, collector’s flies, fly tying instruction and free demonstrations available from this list of 17 experienced fly tiers:

Ted Patlen, Bruce Corwin, Ralph Graves, Joe Ceballos, Dave Brandt, Val Kropiwnicki, Jim Froio, Lavern “VERN-O” Burm,  Bruce Marino, Bob Mead, Shawn Britton, Ed McQuat, Fishy Fullum, John Kavanaugh, Jeff Phelan, Joe Fox, and Don Bastian.

Visitors can enjoy relaxing with their favorite libation at The Riverside Cafe`and have a nice lunch beside the Beaverkill River, which flows right behind the Cafe` – along with the opportunity to watch these fly tiers at work. You’ll have the chance to ask questions and view fly tying demonstrations as these experts produce a wide range of flies ranging from traditional Catskill style drys, to classic wet flies and streamers, to realistic patterns, and contemporary bugs using the oldest natural materials and methods, right up to the latest synthetic materials and techniques. Talking fishing and fly tying will be the order of the day, along with camaraderie, fun, and laughs.

There is also an event at The Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum in nearby Livingston Manor the same day. Here is the information on that event:


Wingless Wetflies

The Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum

Saturday, June 9, 2012 10 AM – 3 PM

Fly fishermen and fly tiers alike will not want to miss the premier showcase event, The Incredible World of Wingless Wetflies will be explored at a special program at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum in Livingston Manor, New York, on Saturday, June 9 from 10 AM through 3 PM. The day will be filled with wet flies, soft hackles, fly tying, and the centuries-old historical background on wet fly fishing. Fish feed all year long and surface feeding is only 5%. If you want to improve your fishing, you have to understand on what feeding goes on under the surface the remaining 95% of the time.

An experienced panel made of the most respected fly tiers from The Flymph Forum will present fly tying demonstrations with tips, techniques, and a few tying and fishing tricks as they present information on how to be more productive using wet flies all year long.

Included in this panel will be William Anderson, Ray “letumgo” Tucker, Bill Shuck, Doug Duvall, Allen McGee, Vicki Shadlock, Bob Dietz, and Mark Libertone. Lance Hidy will be joining us and will have a display of memorabilia from Jim Leisenring and Vern Hidy.

This is a Premier Event. You won’t want to miss this one.

Stop in before you hit the streams or take a break from the beating sun….the fish will wait for you. For more information contact: 845-439-4810.

4 comments on “The Mayfly Club – Annual Fly Tying Extravaganza

  1. Kelly L says:

    I had never heard of The Mayfly Club. Sounds exciting. I know I will miss seeing that, and the Flymph Forum folks. (Flymphs are my latest fly tying craze). You all have a great line up of tyers to see. I am jealous. 🙂

    • Don Bastian says:

      The Mayfly Club is (I believe) a small, localized association of mostly New York – Catskill area tiers. But that’s me talking off the top of my head, and it might not necessarily be entirely accurate. 😉 This year is the first time I’ve ever participated, and it’s halfway to Weston, Vermont, where I’m heading on Sunday June 10th to The Wantastiquet Lake Trout Club for a few days of fishing. I’m also visiting the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester again while in the area. There will be more blog fodder from this little foray, I can assure you of that. Not to mention it’s just going to be a blast! :mrgreen:

  2. Murray Buck says:

    I would dearly love to be there this weekend….not gonna happen so I hope you and my buds from Flymph Forum get loads of pics so I can enjoy it vicariously….

    • Don Bastian says:

      Hi Murray;
      The fact of both events going on less than 2010 minute apart, on the Willowemoc and Beaverkill Rivers, yup, anyone who fly fishes and / or ties flies would enjoy this and benefit from the day’s experience. Thanks for your comment! I’m not sure if I get to see my friend Bill Shuck or not. I forget what hotel he’s staying in; he’s been there a week, and he has no cell phone. Thanks again for your comment and interest!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s