Marbury – Orvis Flies Book Update

I would like to announce an update on my book, formerly and tentatively titled, The Favorite Flies of Mary Orvis Marbury. After a suggestion from my friend Alec Stansell, I got to thinking. The title may be misleading in that all 291 of the patterns from her 1892 book, Favorite Flies and Their Histories, were not actually her patterns. Most likely, her book flies were integrated into the Orvis commercial inventory, but a good many of them were sent in by the many correspondents from the United States and Canada.

Considering this my new book title is: Favorite Fishing Flies – 1892.

It will include reproductions of all 291 of the patterns from Marbury’s book, with tying recipes taken – corrected and adjusted from my scrutiny of the macros I made of each individual fly pattern, plus the tying recipes for another 211 patterns, a good many of which have never been published previously. I discovered a handful of patterns from the pages of her book not included in the Forgotten Flies – Marbury/ Orvis Chapter. Most of the unpublished patterns are sourced from the framed 1893 Orvis Display created by Mary Orvis Marbury for the 1893 Chicago Exposition, located at the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester, Vermont. Here is a list of the twenty-five contributing fly tiers:

Eric Austin – Ohio; Tom Baltz – Pennsylvania; Don Bastian – Pennsylvania; Dave Benoit – Massachusetts; Scott Bleiler – Georgia; John “CJ” Bonasera – Pennsylvania; Austin Clayton – Colorado; Matt Crompton – Virginia; Chris Del Plato – New Jersey; John Hoffman – Ontario; Dave Lomasney – Maine; Ronn Lucas, Sr. – Oregon; Ed Muzeroll – Maine; Ted Patlen – New Jersey; Bob Petti – New York; Roger Plourde – Connecticut; Kat Rollin – New York; Paul Rossman – Connecticut; Dave Schmezer – Florida; Mike Schmidt – Ohio; Bill Shuck – Maryland; Leigh Shuman – Pennsylvania; Royce Stearns – Oregon; April Vokey – British Columbia;  and Rick Whorwood – Ontario.

I find it interesting that these fly tiers are from across the Unites States and Canada, much the same as the correspondents of one-hundred twenty years ago were for Marbury’s original work.

I also want to announce that I just made a CD of the original book plate flies that I have thus far photographed; 24 of the original 32 color plates. I will be running these in slide show format on my laptop at the upcoming shows.

Here is a photo peek at one of the 1893 original flies from the museum display to whet your appetite:

The Juno,a pattern originated for fishing in Maine.

The Juno, a pattern originated for fishing in Maine. This photo was taken through glass that has not been cleaned on the inside for 120 years. There may have been a bit of glare, and it was hand-held. Hopefully you “get the picture.” That’s real scarlet ibis for the wing and tail and silk chenille for the body. I’d say this hook is about a 2/0. Back in the 1800’s there were still a few eight pound brook trout swimming in the Rangeley Lake Region of Maine. That was before the unfortunate extirpation of the forage base blueback trout.

Advance, limited-edition copies of the book can be reserved by contacting:

The Whitefish Press

whitefishpress@yahoo.com

Or by writing:

The Whitefish Press,

4240 Minmor Drive

Cincinnati, OH 45217

Release date is not yet determined.

23 comments on “Marbury – Orvis Flies Book Update

1. Fred Hinkley says:

Looking forward to new book!! Fred

Sent from my iPad

2. jimk4 says:

Thank you for the update, Don.
    It sounds like this will an instant classic, and a must-have read and reference.
    Jim

Hi Jim;
      I appreciate your endorsement and support. Instant classic, well I don’t know about that -;-) – only time will tell. Thank you for your comment! See you next Thursday at Marlborough!

3. Catskilljohn says:

Thanks for the update also Don, hope all is well, and congrats on moving forward with this project which we are all waiting anxiously for to be completed! John

4. novaburst44 says:

It looks like you have been putting a ton of work into this Don. It’s good to read an update. Keep up the great work!

Hi Paul;
      Thanks for your comment! After returning from Maine in early October, I did put a lot of time into research on the patterns, mostly getting all the recipes in chronological order. I had them done previously for my tiers, but they were randomly scattered. Plus, I studied and analyzed the 1893 patterns, assessing the components. I had a few 10 – 14 four days on it around Columbus Day. Thanks for your support!

5. Don
    I’m waiting with HUGE anticipation for my copy!

One question, are the advance copies pre-signed by yourself and then despatched or do we need to get the book to you after we receive it?

Hope you’re on the mend, and tight lines for 2013:)

Darrell

Hi Darrel;
      Thanks for your support and anticipation! To answer your question, the Limited Edition copies will all be signed before shipping to the purchasers. I am finally after two months of being quite ill and debilitated, on the mend. Considering the weight I lost, I’ll need time to put some of that back on. 😉 Thanks for your comment!

6. Hi Don, will be a great book indeed.
    Fabrizio Gajardoni

7. Alec S. says:

Sounds like you’ve come up with a perfect title Don! Can’t wait to get a copy! Alec

8. Al Ritt says:

Hmmm, nice combination of one of my favorite subjects addressed by some of my favorite people. I look forward to a chance to get a copy of this Don! Hope your health continues to improve, I look forward to seeing you in Somerset. Al

Hi Al;
      Thanks for your comment! Glad to know that you are familiar with some of these talented tiers that have contributed to this project. And I appreciate your interest in the book! Folks, Al is a great tier, look for him at the Somerset, New Jersey Fly Fishing Show, January 25 – 27. Thanks for your comment Al!

9. Rane Olsen says:

Hi Don,
    Absolutely a must-have book! I have contacted the Whitefish Press some weeks ago, but still haven’t had an answer from them. Is it possible to get a copy to Europe as well, or is this States-only?

Ha, ha! That’s funny!