Penn’s Creek Angler FlyShop

Last week, I was invited by my friend and fellow fly tier from Delaware, Ohio, Eric Austin, to join him and a group of his friends to stay at a private cabin for some fishing on Penn’s Creek. I’m pleased to say that Eric is one of the contributing tiers for my book in progress, Favorite Fishing Flies – 1892. Eric and I met on-line some years ago when he bought my first DVD,Tying Classic Wet Flies. Since then we’ve been in occasional contact, but more so over the last year during his tying of the flies from Mary Orvis Marbury’s 1892 book, Favorite Flies and Their Histories. It was great to finally meet Eric in person and to fish together to boot.

We had a great time and some good fishing, but I plan to write more about that outing in a separate post. This writing is to publicize a fly shop that has been in business since 2007, but one that I was previously unaware of: Penn’s Creek Angler. Formerly located on Pennsylvania Rt. 45, the Penn’s Creek Angler Fly Shop recently moved into the village of Weikert into the old Weikert Store, right next to the Post Office. It is in a great location near one of the best, if not the best, trout streams in the state of Pennsylvania.

The web site address of Penn’s Creek Angler is:  http://www.pennscreekangler.com/

Here is a photo of the shop:

Penn's Creek Angler Fly Shop, located in the former Weikert Store on Weikert Road.

Penn’s Creek Angler Fly Shop, located in the former Weikert Store on Weikert Road, next to the post office. Ha! The license plate on my car, “The Nymphmobile” is visible in the foreground. See: https://donbastianwetflies.com/2012/02/09/nymphs/

Penn's Creek Angler sign.

Penn’s Creek Angler sign. www.pennscreekangler.com

The phone number at Penn’s Creek Angler is: 570-922-1053.

By the way, the famous Green Drake hatch has started on Penn’s Creek. There were large numbers of duns below Weikert, near the Penn’s Creek Campground, last Saturday afternoon and evening. In fact, one of the locals told us he didn’t think he had ever seen such a heavy, concentrated hatch of duns, occurring in the mid-afternoon, heaviest activity from 2:30 to 3:30 PM. We arrived about 7:00 PM, and my personal view was the density of Green Drake duns was pretty incredible. I’d never seen that many anywhere in my life. I caught an eighteen-inch brown on my BXB Green Drake Dun pattern that evening. More about that and our fishing in another post.

Freshly hatched Green Drake dun.

Freshly hatched Green Drake dun. Photo by Don Bastian. The large Green Drake female duns can have bodies nearly an inch-and-a-half long.

Check the Penn’s Creek Angler Fly Shop website, there is lots of information there, photo galleries, and fishing information. Shop owner Bruce Fisher also has a cabin for rent; it’s located right on the creek.

6 comments on “Penn’s Creek Angler FlyShop

1. Peter Rodgers says:

Don,
    How did a guy known for C. Stevens streamers and classic wet flies get a license plate “NYMPHS”?! BTW, that’s a great looking cabin on Penn’s Creek.
    Peter R.

Hi peter:
      Thanks for your comment! The NYMPHS plate is the result of first three-time rejection by PennDOT for my initial choices. It’s all explained in that post, if you check the link under the photo to an older post. But, I am a pretty good nymph fisherman. I used to teach nymph fishing clinics on Spring Creek, for several years. Multiple methods of casting & presentation, mending, tending your drift, strike reactions, multiple types of indicators, leader design, etc.
      That is a nice looking cabin Bruce has for rent on Penn’s Creek. Maybe we should think about trying to book it for several days next season?
      That would be a great place for some fishing,a little fly tying…thanks again for your comment!

• Peter Rodgers says:

Don, That sounds like a stellar idea. Let me know the dates you feel would work best for you and I’ll get on it. It does look like a great spot.

Great shots of the fawn being birthed! I guess when it’s “time”, it’s “time”! My wife, Molly, was walking the dog through the Promised Land State Park day before yesterday and she and Chip came upon a black bear with a cub up a tree. Fortunately the tree was on the other side of the bear and so Molly and Chip presented a little bit less a possible threat and everyone parted ways without incident. Molly was a little un-nerved, though.

Somewhere around that 1st or 2nd week of May might be good for fishing next Spring…

Peter Rodgers PO Box 227 Tafton, PA 18464

rodgerpeter@gmail.com

Hi Peter;
        Thanks for your comment! Sure, those dates / time frame sound good. We should probably check first with Bruce at the shop to see when his cabin is available. Anytime from May 1st to May 20th or so…that would keep us away from the green drake crowds. We can do some tying, fishing, day trip to Spring Creek a time or two…Big Fishing Creek. I’ll plan the food and meals,we can work out the details. Thanks for the thought, great idea!
        Glad you enjoyed the deer photos, and good that Molly and Chip were not a threat to the bear cub. 🙂

• EDWARD TORCHIA says:

DON….Just wanted to say hello, and it was a pleasure meeting you at Tom Wilson’s cabin.
        I am keeping in touch with Eric almost daily since we got back from Penn’s Creek. Oh, in case you forgot my name is ED Torchia….the Nuke Guru!!! Wish we could have chatted more.
        I know we were all tired from the day’s fishing.
        Well, again my pleasure….maybe we can meet again. Hopefully on the Big Horn.
        Tight Lines
        ED TORCHIA
        ps…Love the floating sulphur nymph

Hi Ed;
        Yes, very nice meeting you as well! I really enjoyed my time with Tom, Eric, and his buddies on Penn’s Creek. That green drake hatch was something to see! You are right about us being tired that night…fishin’ hard makes for a long day! 😉 Do hope to see you again, the Big Horn would be lovely!