Bastian’s Floating Caddis Emerger – Again

This will be short and sweet. You remember my friend Dave Lomasney from York, Maine. I posted his striper photos here last week. Well, he wanted the tying instructions and recipes for my Floating Caddis Emerger, so I sent them to him. He e-mailed me this evening, these photos:

Maine brook trout - photo by Dave Lomasney, of York, Maine.

Maine brook trout – photo by Dave Lomasney, of York, Maine. The trout’s eye is a little odd. Hmmm? Probably due to some type of natural injury. See the fly in his lower jaw?

Here’s the macro:

Close-up of Bastian's Floating Caddis Emerger in jaw of Maine brookie. The fly was also tied by Dave.

Close-up of Bastian’s Floating Caddis Emerger in jaw of Maine brookie. Photo by Dave Lomasney, the fly was also tied by Dave. Nice work Dave!

Dave said he tied the pattern on, and hooked up something of good size on the first cast, but it took him into some brush and got him snagged up and broke off his 5x. He tied on another fly and got this fish, and a few others. That was in two hours, and Dave said it was slow. But I told him in my e-mail reply, “Slow fishin’ is better than no fishin’, and catchin’ a few trout is better than no trout.”

Thanks for giving my pattern a try Dave! It does work.

8 comments on “Bastian’s Floating Caddis Emerger – Again

Great fly, great fish, and great fun! Congrats!

2. Terry Chapman says:

Ok, I got to get out and fish those new caddis Emergers! I now the work.

3. Terry Chapman says:

oops! above corrected after coffee: ‘I know they work!”

Hi Terry;
      Thanks for your comments…and since you made the correction, (before I was out of bed I’ll add), I don’t have to edit it. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

4. Bruce says:

Hi Don. I hope everything is fine with you. Have you ever posted a tutorial for tying the Bubble Caddis Emerger? It looks great and I’d love to tie some.
    The Best,
    Bruce

Hi Bruce;

Are you referring to my Floating Caddis Emerger Pattern, or another pattern called the Bubble Caddis Emerger? If the latter, I’ve never heard of that fly. I thought I did post the recipe and tying steps for my Floating Caddis Emerger earlier this spring…I’d have to go back to check for sure though. Thanks for your comment!