Roadhouse Blues

This is why I’m having so much fun in my life lately; I’ve become the full-time drummer in the Pepper Street Band. It’s also partly why I have not been as active here, and also why I am lagging a bit on my fly orders. But I am working on them. Life has been good, and my health is great! Especially when compared to last year, when even at this time, I was still recovering from that flare-up of Crohn’s Disease.

Here is a pic from last Saturday night’s gig at a local American Legion Post, No. 617 in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

The Pepper Street Band - left to right;

The Pepper Street Band – left to right; Dave Houseknecht on lead guitar; Peter M. Codispoti on keyboards and harmonica; me on drums, guest lead guitarist Bob LaCerra, guest back=up vocalist Bert Smeal, and bass guitarist Bob Yoas. All four regular band members sing lead vocals.

Life is repeating itself, my cycle of friends, new and old. Pete was the drum major at the Williamsport Area High School back when I was in 9th grade, never got to know him until I joined this band. Bert and I were room mates at band camp on 1969, and he also played in several iterations of my ’70’s classic rock band. Bob is a little younger than me, but I’ve known him for more than thirty-five years. He is a mason by trade, and actually helped lay block and brick here at my home when it was built in 1977 – ’78. Dave knew who I was but I never met him until November 2013, I was asked to fill on on the New Year’s Eve gig. Bob Yoas, also, I did not “know” but we have a mutual long-time friend who is also a fly fishing buddy. My friend and Bob both belong to the same hunting and fishing camp. I am really privileged to be in a band with talented musicians!

Even better than the pic, here is a video taken by a friend from last Saturday’s gig, with the band doing a cover of the Doors, Roadhouse Blues. Both Dave and Bob do some lead guitar work. I decided to post it here so my readers can have a better idea of what I’ve been up to. Not bad for a little hand-held camera. Enjoy! (I hope).

Edit after two comments: One of my subscriber friends wrote, “The singer sounds just like Jim Morrison.” Duh! I forgot to say who is singing the lead vocal on Roadhouse Blues – it’s me! Singin’ and drummin’ at the same time!

8 comments on “Roadhouse Blues

1. MICHAEL SEBETICH says:

Don,

You are enjoying yourself, so keep doing what makes you happy.

Thanks for the update,

Mike

Michael J. Sebetich, Ph.D. Emeritus Professor of Biology William Paterson University Wayne, NJ 07506

Home phone: 973-423-4046

2. Marc Billett says:

Don, Great performance on YouTube and you guys play great. The singer sounds just like Jim Morrison. Glad your feeling great and that life is good. You’ll catch up on your orders for sure but it’s also nice to see your out and about. I have some new rods to try out, so I’m excited to wet a line. Hope the weather stays warm but it’s suppose to get cool again. By the Way, I love that Parmachene Belle, just may be my new favorite fly. I even have it saved on the computer. Cant’t decide witch I like better the wet fly or the streamer. Awesome Tie! All my fly tying buddies and the guys I guide with were also very impressed. Matter of fact, a bunch of us came over to see you and the fly tiers at seven springs and were sorry to see you didn’t make the trip. I did see my good friends Bob Clouser and Scott Loughner. Keep on pounding the skins and all the best. Marc

Hi Marc;
      I started laughing when I read your comment. I forgot to post who was singing the lead and as you said, sounds “just like Jim Morrison”- it’s me!
      I ended up having to miss the Seven Springs weekend thing, sorry I missed you guys! I played both Friday and Saturday nights, in two different bands. Really enjoyed that!
      I’m glad you like the Parmacheene Belle, it’s one of my favorites!
      Good luck fishin’! Thanks for your comments!

Thanks Don! I enjoyed that video, and hearing of all the great fun you’ve been having. I am very happy for you. You seem to really be enjoying life. Good for you! 🙂

4. flydressersguild says:

Glad you’re havin’ fun drumming:) Lead vocals as well – a man of many talents 🙂

5. Terry says:

Don, glad to see you’re enjoying yourself. I liked the video; the sound is good! All is well here; though our streams too high for much action. God help me as I start a golf league with a good friend this morning with rain and wind gusts to 40!? But that’s life and let me at it!

Terry

Hi Kelly, Darrell, and Terry;
    Thank all of you for your kind words and compliments! Glad you enjoyed the music video! Thanks again! Now, back to the fly tying… 😉 Gotta hustle!