Santa and The Reintrout are Back

Santa and his Reintrout...

Santa and his Reintrout…

Last Christmas, I posted the painted card image of Santa, a sunfish, leading his sleigh with eight reintrout, being led by what we are led to believe is Rudolph, a channel catfish. People didn’t believe this, but now we can see for sure, courtesy of this artist’s rendition who just so happened to get a glimpse of Santa and his reintrout during the most recent full moon, just the other night in fact, as they are shown coursing across the nocturnal sky. It is believed that Santa was making some pre-Christmas trial runs across the far north to test out his new Orvis 9 foot, 7-weight bamboo whip / rod with a WF7F floating line…and isn’t that a beautiful loop he’s got going there? Especially in the face of a strong headwind, too. My source was unable to get a good definitive identification of the reel. However, as we all know, Santa would have nothing but the best. 😉

I have only question…where is Rudolph the Red-nosed Reintrout?

14 comments on “Santa and The Reintrout are Back

1. Doug Daufel says:

Merry Christmas Donnie!!!

2. Bill H says:

Prolly floating belly-up in a metal-infused runoff stream somewhere from being handled too much for “grip-n’-grins”.

3. Armando says:

Merry Christmas to all lovers of these pages and such beautiful stories that Don Bastian brings throughout the year, with his teachings and creations, I send a desire for happiness for all of you and your loved ones.

4. Norman Plourde says:

Enlargement Of The Picture Shows Him In The Lead. Merry Christmas!

Delightful, DB! Thank you for another year of teaching and tying. Hope you and Mary have a wonderful holiday season and a banner 2015.

6. David Kolstad says:

Don, thanks for this site and your great work on it over the years. A true pleasure and inspiration. All the best for Health and Happiness in 2015!

7. Hi Don, I wish you and yours all the best in health and happiness for 2015. You are a mentor for alot of people and your generosity of sharing techniques and history is outstanding. I met you at the Hamilton Ontario Symposium a few years ago and the time you took to talk to me will never be forgotten! Was worried about the “praying mantis” on your neighbors booth display landing on my neck! Also a good friend of mine Steve Galea was talking to you about ironwood. He recently started Algonquinflytying.com and I made him a sign out of a cookie cut off a huge ironwood(can send you a picture if you send me an email address). If you have a chance, a shout out from you would surprise him. Check it out as the USD is climbing! Take care of yourself.
    Sincerely, Rusty

Hi Rusty;
      Thank you so very much for your kind words and compliments! Much appreciated! I’m sure I would remember Steve, I do recall the ironwood discussion, albeit vaguely… 😉 That would have been Bob Mead’s Praying Mantis, realistic fly pattern… I’ll check out Steve’s site. Thanks for your comment! Happy New Year to you and your family as well!