Status Report and Calendar of Events

This short post is an announcement of several things. First, this is post no. 400, since March of 2010 when I started this blog. I presently have 868 followers. (now up to 895 – 2-19-2015). A good many of them signed on in the last ten days when there was some drama aka “lively discussion” here. That has been cleaned up since then, and for good reason. To that, I will only say, sometimes good guys do win. 😉

Secondly, during this time, I had my highest ever number of visits, 894 on January 29th. And I received a lot of support, nearly 100% in fact, from people who commented, people who did not comment but e-mailed me, and / or voiced their support to me in person at the Somerset, New Jersey, Fly Fishing Show.

I have some events coming up. Here is my planned itinerary for the next few months:

Thursday March 12: Fly Tying Class at Grand River Outfitting and Fly Shop in Fergus, Ontario, 6 – 9 PM.

Friday March 13: Fly Tying Class at First Cast Fly Shop In Guelph, Ontario, 6 – 9:30 PM.

Saturday March 14: 5-hour fly tying demo, with camera and large screen at The Niagara Region Flytyers Club in St. Catherine’s, Ontario. 11 – 4 PM. Some tickets are available to the general public, at $20.

I will not be at the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show; I was thinking about it, but the band got booked at a Mardi-Gras event in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, so I’m staying in town to have fun.

Monday April 6: Federation of Flyfishers Club, fly tying demo and program on Soft-hackle Wet Flies. Big Flats, New York.

Saturday April 11: Catskill Fly Tyers Guild Annual Fly Tyers Rendezvous, at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum, Livingston Manor, New York. Here is the link to “Events” on their page:

Monday May 11: On-the-Fly, Spruce Creek, Pennsylvania. An all-day event.

There is another event in the planning stages that will be in Maine. I have been invited to participate in this. It will be the last weekend in June in the Rangeley Region. I am honored to be invited; that is all I can say about it for now. As soon as I receive information it will be posted here.

When I get details on the classes in Canada I will post them.

Life indeed moves on. I am excited about this 400th post. It is short, but continuing on, I shall try to make future posts worthwhile, as in entertaining, informative, helpful, and interesting. When my book, “Favorite Fishing Flies – 1892” on the 1800’s Orvis flies is accepted by a publisher – soon – you will all be the first to know. Thank you everyone for your support! Things have a way of happening as they are supposed to…

11 comments on “Status Report and Calendar of Events

1. Lance Allaire says:

Glad to hear the good news. Look forward to seeing you in Rangeley!

2. adam says:

Don, this is all great stuff. Glad to see that things are coming together. Things tend to happen “as they should” when patience is practiced, something not always easy to do, especially for me.

I wanted to see if you had a link or more details about the April 11th Catskills Fly Tyers Rendezvous… is this open to the public in any way? I’d really like to attend that. I’m looking to lock in and learn more in my “backyard” in new york state. I plan to spend a lot more time in the small streams of the catskills this year hunting native trout, so I’d love to learn more about the local patterns, their history, how to tie them, etc…

Also, I did want to follow up with you on the smaller streamers we discussed at the fly tying show. I’ll be travelling to Japan in early March for work, and then to take a trip to meet up with some tenkara guys in Japan and see it all first hand… figured it was about time after 4 seasons of fishing american tenkara with no real japanese tenkara instruction… but I digress. We should discuss the streamers soon, if you have time? I’d love to pay you and arrange shipping before I blow all my money in Japan 🙂

Adam Klagsbrun

3. Bruce says:

Hi Don. What and where is “On The Fly” in Spruce Creek, PA.? Is that a new fly shop? I hope you’re well. Why didn’t we fish together last year? Explanation is required.
    The Best,
    Bruce

4. Jim Hunter says:

Hi Don You mentioned a while back about your girl friend, said to myself, OOPS he and his wife have split up. My point is on your very first video you thanked your dear wife for all her love and support in your joy of fly tying.. Don I did not know until a resent post that your wife had passed away with cancer some years ago… Funny how the mind works, good luck in your new relationship, hope all works well for you. God bless you and thank you for what you do. Jim Hunter

Hi Jim;

Thanks for your comment! Yes, life can hand us unexpected curve balls. I can’t be happier how things have turned out for me, in many ways. I remember that dedication I made to LouAnne at the end of that first DVD. Thank you for the remembrance as well. 🙂

Hope you decide to make the Lancaster Show, DB.