Ontario In March – Fly Tying Classes and Demos

Everything is official now. I am heading to Ontario on Thursday, March 12, and presenting a fly tying class that evening at Grand River Outfitting and Fly Shop in Fergus from 6 – 9 PM. Here is the information posted on the event on the Grand River Outfitting and Fly Shop website:

www.http://ontarioflyfishing.ca/event/gro-presents-don-bastian-grand-river-caddis-patterns/

The class will feature all of my original caddis patterns: The Hatching Caddis Adult, Hatching Caddis Pupa, Floating Caddis / Mayfly Emerger, Floating Caddis Pupa, plus two more proven and deadly caddis larva patterns. These flies, if you have them in your box, will certify your readiness for most any caddis hatch / situation you encounter. Just have a range of sizes and colors… 😉  And here is a link to the shop: www.http://ontarioflyfishing.ca/

Mary and I will be meeting part-time shop employee, guide, instructor, and good friend, John Hoffmann for a relaxing afternoon and dinner before the class.

Friday evening, March 13, I am presenting a fly tying class at First Cast Fly Shop in Guelph, from 6 to 9:30 PM.

Here is a link to the event at First Cast:  http://www.thefirstcast.ca/event/don-bastian/

Rates and reservation information is now posted for both shop classes. The Niagara Region Flytyers Event has a few remaining tickets for sale to the public, at $20 each.

Saturday March 14, I am presenting a fly tying demo in St. Catherines, for the Niagara Region Flytyers Club, to be video -played on a TV screen, time of this demo is from 11 AM to 4 PM. There will be a couple breaks in this five-hour session. One highlight of the classes and demo will be the tying of Bastian’s Floating Caddis / Mayfly Emerger. Specific information about the patterns in these sessions can be obtained from the fly shops. As yet I am not certain that the event in St. Catherines is open to the public.

Bastian's Floating Caddis Emerger.

Bastian’s Floating Caddis Emerger. This pattern and its variations will be part of these sessions. This fly is deadly. One of my customers posted on the Orvis site, “it should be illegal.” 😉

During and after these classes, Mary and I will be hanging out as the guest of my close friend Rick Whorwood, who resides in Stoney Creek, Ontario, a suburb of Hamilton. We have been close friends for twenty-five years. Rick is a fellow musician of sorts; he has “some guitars” and recently bought a vintage 1967-ish Rogers Drum set, champagne sparkle pearl. He started taking drum lessons recently and while he is learning fast – he used to drum back in his teenaged years – he wants me to show him some of my chops. 😉 Mary plays guitar as well, and she’s a heck of a good singer, so I think the two of them might be doing a little jamming. Maybe even the three of us…

My vintage 1975 English-made Premier Powerhouse 2500 drum set...prior to the start of a local gig.

My vintage 1975 English-made Premier Powerhouse 2500 drum set…prior to the start of a local gig.

This is going to be a great trip! Anyone interested in these classes, please feel free to let me know in the comment section.

14 comments on “Ontario In March – Fly Tying Classes and Demos

Thanks!
      It is fishy, in terms of its effectiveness! It is under contract with Orvis, but I also sell a variation of the fly, basically the same pattern with an indicator and hackled differently, on http://www.MyFlies.com. The recent re-blogged post a week or so ago, includes the tying steps of it, and lots of fish pics. 😉 Thanks for your comment!

1. Ted Andrews says:

Hi Don, My first ‘shot’ at tying Mrs Stevens streamers.All her own patterns save one-my own concotion, which I’ve named ‘Blue Smoke’. Hope you approve! Best as ever and all good wishes for the new year Ted Andrews

That’s great Ted;

I have 35 streamer patterns that I created, all in the Carrie Stevens style of dressing, each one themed in the Rangeley Region. Thus far only three have been posted here; Carrie’s Ghost, Wheeler’s Ghost, and White-Nose Pete.One of these days I will get to that project.

I also created seventeen more streamers, all wet fly conversions from famous Trout Flies and Lake Flies of the 1800’s: Tomah Joe, Cassard, Moose, Volunteer, Von Patton, Wood Duck, Sabbattus, Romeyn…those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Each of those can be found by typing their names in the search tab on the right, then hit “enter.” Take ya’ right to it! Thanks for your comment, and I like your inspiration!

Was there a pic of your fly?

2. Malcolm Davidson says:

Hopefully I can attend in Fergus or Guelph, we met in Toronto at your booth at the Sportsmen show a few years back, I purchased some flashback pheasant tails from you, #18’s & #22’s I believe. They are still in their case, too nice to fish. Would love to pick up some pointers from a master. Cheers, Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Nice to hear from you! If we met at the Toronto Show, that would have been a Sunday. I was there once, with Rick Whorwood, and it was cold and very snowy. There was also a fire alarm that day, and everyone had to go outside. It was 2013 and I was just getting over a severe bout with Crohn’s Disease.

Those Flashback Pheasant Tail Nymphs are too good to just look at; you better get ’em wet. 😉

Thanks for your comment, hope to see you in March!

• Malcolm Davidson says:

I was there when the fire alarm went off, but I think it was the previous year. I took a beginner two handed casting clinic with Rick Whorwood last year, it was really windy, he’s top shelf as a teacher. I think I took the prize for most wind knots.

Hi Malcolm;

It was definitely 2013 when I was there. The one and only time in Toronto at that show for me. My recovery from being so sick, I had lost 41 pounds in 70 days, and I recall what effort it took to get my stuff into the building. Rick had to go tend to the casting booth, so he enlisted a couple guys to help me carry my stuff. Long walk….and I was so weak I actually took a half-hour nap right at my table that afternoon….I just slumped over.

I remember very well, because after that trip, I was home for about three days when I went looking for a red and black bag, containing several old grizzly streamer / dry fly capes. And also parts of eight jungle cock capes. It was missing!!!! Yikes! Searched for it, until I remembered that it was probably left at the hall in Toronto. BINGO!

Rick gave me the e-mail for Elliott Deighton, and lucky for me, yes the Izaak Walton Club cleaned up, found it, and he had my bag. I met Elliott at aa Tim Horton’s near Guelph on the way to Fergus a month later to get my bag and proceeded on teach a class at a Bed and Breakfast for Wilson’s of Toronto at their Fergus location, now owned by Rob Heal as Grand River Outfitters and Fly Shop.

I stayed with my friend John Hoffmann and his wife Cathy during that second trip to Ontario. At any rate, I’m healthy now and looking forward to the trip!

• Malcolm Davidson says:

Glad to hear you’re better. A guy from high school I played hockey with had a tough go with Crohn’s and Colitis and was hospitalized.
      John Hoffman taught me a beginner fly tying course at Wilson’s while Rob was still there. They are both gentlemen and ambassadors.

4. […] If you need any more information or registration details on any of the events below, please contact Don via donbastianwetflies.com […]

5. Jan says:

Don,

Jan Normandale here from Toronto. I just came across this and your website thru the Catskills Fly Fishers FB page! Go figure. It’s been a long time. I have a display case of your Ray Bergman Wets from about 12 years ago at an Izaak Walton meeting. Glad to see you’re still active. I wish I’d found this sooner. I would have stopped by to see you in Fergus. I know Rick and John.. both fine fans of the sport. I’ll keep in touch now I know where you are!

cheers