Lee Wulff and Curt Gowdy in Labrador

Greetings blog followers and friends! Long time no see! 😀

It has been a long while since I posted anything here. Lots of reasons for that, mostly living a busy life, still tying flies, drumming and singing in the Classic Rock band and the church Praise Band, enjoying life with Mary, to whom I am now engaged for a June 2016 wedding. Together, we’ve spent time at soccer and T-Ball games with our collective eight grandchildren. We went to Maine in June for the Carrie Stevens weekend at the Rangeley Outdoor Sporting Heritage Museum. We both love music, and we saw Garth Brooks in Concert last May. In less than two weeks, we are going to see Joe Walsh in concert in Poughkeepsie, New York. Then in October we have tickets to see Paul McCartney in State College, Pennsylvania, just an hour away. I did manage to get some fishing in, and gave Mary some fly casting lessons. She is anxious to get on the water where she can hook some trout! Hopefully before the autumn leaves are gone. I have quite a backlog of stuff to post here. I have also been very busy with some personal matters and getting caught up on things as life always moves forward.

This video link was sent to me by a friend. I started watching it and thought, how very classic and iconic, and I wanted to share it. Lee Wulff and Curt Gowdy fishing together for trophy brook trout in Labrador. I met Curt Gowdy in the 1980’s when he came to speak at our Trout Unlimited Chapter. This came about because a local angler and chapter member reached out to Curt in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s when he was in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania, as the sports announcer for the Little League World Series Games. My friend, Dave Wonderlich, who works at the Slate Run Tackle Shop (see link to that fly shop on the right), offered to take him fly fishing. Dave provided all the equipment since Mr. Gowdy was not prepared to fish on this particular visit to Williamsport.

This is one of the episodes of “American Sportsman” and I believe it was filmed in the 1960’s. It is just under a half-hour in length, but will be well-worth your time to view and enjoy it. Grab a beverage and some snacks and relax!

14 comments on “Lee Wulff and Curt Gowdy in Labrador

1. Marc Billett says:

Nice video, Don. It really brings back a lot of memories of the American Sportsman, one of my favorites.

2. Robert McKeon says:

Just a observation of note directed to you and your music…I too am into music- still an active jazz drummer (Phoenix) and still work with a Gretsch Round Badge set I bought new in 1958. As it was once said to me…”Gee Mr. Gretsch, you just can’t beat your drums.” Yes, still having fun with music. And…just recently, I’ve challenged myself and am tying flies sans vise.

3. Terry Chapman says:

Enjoyed the “time on the water” with Wulff and Gowdy–really large trout for sure and real icons of our sport!
    Thanks Don and tight lines to you and yours!

4. Armando Milosevic says:

very good film and great fishing of these two great people, thanks Don for sharing.

5. csawtelle1@maine.rr.com says:

Ever heard of “Sportsman Say” fly? Looking for pattern.

Hi;
      Yes I have heard of the Sportsman Say. Not having Stewart / Leeman’s “Trolling Flies for Trout and Salmon.” I’ll try to make a note and check it or you. Thanks for your comment!

6. Congratulations on your engagement Don! That is wonderful news. Glad to hear things are going so well for you… God is good! 🙂 Thanks for the video – great stuff! Alec

Really good to see you back in action, DB. Large congratulations to you and Mary on your pending nuptials. It’s great to hear she’s interested in sharing your love of fishing.
    I remember seeing this video before … wonder if Jack had it in his collection? If you can find a link for it, your readers would probably enjoy the one where Lee Wulff hooks and lands three 5 lb+ brookies at the same time on one of those little rods he always used.

8. ric burt says:

Great video. Have this one in my collection. I’ve lived in Labrador for a lot of years. 30 some years in all. It’s part of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador as you are well aware. I have most of his books also. Fish for salmon with the White Wulff, late in the evening when the sun is going below the spruce trees. Almost always get a rise on that one. I digress some, sorry……those waters are loaded with some of the best Brookies left in the world. Another story another day. Kudos!

9. David Kolstad says:

Hello Don, shot you an email. Check it if you have not or shoot me reply to this.

David

10. Terry Chapman says:

Glad everything going so well for you and Mary. Are you headed to NE anytime in 2016?

11. KenFisher says:

Nice video, I love it, love both men!