When the Fisherman is Away

This article came up today on my Facebook page, as a memory from five years ago, in 2012. Unfortunately, our beloved Abigail passed away in November 2016, the day after Thanksgiving. She was two months shy of her 15th birthday. My wife and I had to make the difficult decision of having her put down at the vet’s office, following her decline after a stroke of some type a couple months earlier.

Don Bastian Wet Flies

There’s an old saying that I’ve heard folks say ever since I was a kid. Here it is: “When the cat’s away, the mice will play.” My version of this regarding a recent experience goes like this: “When the fisherman is away, the dog will play.” At least that’s how it sometimes goes.

I have a number of fly tying and dog stories that are mine or those of friends, stashed into a project I started three years ago. This project is the writing of  short humorous stories, accounts, and tales of various fishing and hunting experiences that I’ve had over lo, these many years. When the idea started I thought I’d have about thirty topics, but the list has swelled to nearly ninety at present. Seven chapters are finished. My plan is to publish these stories in a two or three volume set. But today, I need to write…

View original post 1,536 more words

8 comments on “When the Fisherman is Away

1. sharon vanstry says:

mr bastian,

first of all, my condolences on the loss of abigail.

secondly, i bought some fly fishing items (there was so much! clearly the deceased was an avid fly fisherman) at an estate sale and would like to send you a picture of what may be some original pencil drawings by austin hogan. the googling his name brought me to this blog, specifically the posts from 2014. would you be interested in taking a look?

kindest regards,
    sharon vanstry
    syracuse, ny

Hi Sharon;

Thank you for your condolences on Abigail.
      Sure, anything by Austin Hogan, that would certainly be worth taking a look at. I’d love to see any drawings by him if you can send them. Thank you!

Don

• shar v.s. says:

Hi Don,

I am glad to hear from you. Here are the pics. If you have any info about these (assuming they are authentic), I would love to know more.

My crazy orange shoe is for dimension purposes only. The pencil drawings are rack only slightly larger than a business card.

I’m thinking of selling it to someone who will cherish it. I’m a new bass angler, haven’t graduated to fly fishing yet. If this is authentic, it should belong to a fly fisherperson. ☺️

Tight lines and warmest regards, Sharon cell: 315.391.1229

On Oct 23, 2017 1:48 PM, “Don Bastian Wet Flies” wrote:

> Don Bastian commented: “Hi Sharon; Thank you for your condolences on > Abigail. Sure, anything by Austin Hogan, that would certainly be worth > taking a look at. I’d love to see any drawings by him if you can send them. > Thank you! Don” >

Sharon;
        I am not able to find any pictures in the comment you posted. ???
        Don

• shar v.s. says:

i sent them separately bc i forgot to attach them the first time! here they are again. sorry for the confusion.

• shar v.s. says:

oops, forgot to attach files!

On Oct 23, 2017 1:48 PM, “Don Bastian Wet Flies” wrote:

2. Timothy Dwinal says:

Hi Don,

I’d like to start the process of paying for one plate of flies (framed), to which we discussed at least 3-4 years ago. I figure if I can pay for one plate or whatever is the proper term to use, over time I will eventually have the full collection (Ray Bergman) of framed flies. How much are you charging and are you even doing this any more?

I hope this finds you well.

Best, Tim

Hi Tim;

I am still tying, but I have not made any of those wet fly plates for some time now. I can and will still do that for you. I do recall we discussed you getting the entire set one plate at a time. That is fine. I will send you an e-mail with details and we’ll discuss it. Thank you! Nice to hear from you!

Don